Tuesday, July 26, 2005

To Eat or to Smoke: That is the Question

I called LeAnn, my diabetes educator today. I got desperate. I can't seem to follow the diet. It's not because I don't know what I should be doing. I do. That part is easy. The complicated part is controlling the eating. I have been having trouble controlling my eating ever since I quit smoking.

It turns out that she is the one who has delayed my receiving the pump. Just because it was approved by the insurance company doesn't mean they are going to let me have it right now. She says she hasn't worked with me long enough. She is the one who needs to teach me to use it. So I am unhappy about this. At least I will get it eventually.

But back to the diet issues.

I told LeAnn that I don't know what to do. I am even considering starting smoking again, so I can control my eating and take off the weight I gained. Of course she doesn't want me to do that. What she wants me to do is to count the carbohydrates and cover them with insulin. The last thing I need is to go into ketoacidosis again. So the goal is to keep the blood sugars down even if I can't stop myself from eating.

This is a drag.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

This is a drag.

Hopefully not the drag you were thinking of indulging in! Hang in there. Be strong. You can do it!